- Default storage engine: MyISAM (5.0) , InnoDB (5.5)
InnoDB I/O subsystem changes enable more effective use of available I/O capacity.
Some new features added to MySQL 5.5
- Enterprise Thread Pool
- Enterprise Audit
- Pluggable authentication (LDAP, Kerberos, PAM, or Windows login IDs)
- Improve operation on Solaris
- Semisynchronous replication
- New Unicode character sets include: utf16, utf32, and utf8mb4.
- Partitioning (RANGE COLUMNS partitioning and LIST COLUMNS partitioning)
- Now can do: delete all rows from one or more partitions of a partitioned table
- XML – add supported to the statement load_xml_infile
- IPv6 support